Header
Holy Trinity Seer Green & Jordans

History

Hand-sketched picture of Holy Trinity, Seer Green & JordansThe Church was built in 1846 on the village green of Seer Green, when Seer Green was just a hamlet within the Parish of Farnham Royal.  It wasn't until 1866 that the Parish of Seer Green came into being. 

It cost a total of £1200 to build and furnish the Church, £1000 of which was donated by the first vicar, Revd John Henry Worsley. The Church was originally built in flint with stone details and the vestries were added around 1960, in matching flint. The overall dimensions of the church are 32 by 16.5 metres. The pews and altar screen are of light oak and the choir stalls are early 20th Century. The church can seat approximately 140. The condition of the building is generally good, it was rewired in 1986 and had extensive treatment to both roof and floor timbers. The pipe organ was also replaced by a Copeman Hart digital instrument during the 1990s.

The church is fitted with an electronic sound system, with a hearing loop, one fixed lectern microphone and four cordless, roving microphones. The Choir Vestry has a toilet which can be used throughout the services, though it does not provide special facilities for disabled worshippers at this time.

Parish Priests/Vicars/Ministers of Holy Trinity since 1847The first permanent appointee to serve at Holy Trinity was John Worsley, who was appointed in 1847. The latest incumbent, Cassa Messervy, is the 19th to have served in this capacity. Here is a chronological listing of all those who have served Holy Trinity and their years of tenure: 

  1.        John Henry Worsley: 1847-1848
  2.        Richard Tarn Cockle: 1848-1858
  3.        Henry Herbert: 1858-1868
  4.        Francis John Otley: 1868-1870       
  5.        John Marratt Taylor: 1870-1900
  6.        Alfred Long: 1903-1904
  7.        James McIvor Stephens: 1904-1934
  8.        John Williams Harper Faulkner: 1934-1945
  9.        Frank Waterton: 1945-1952
  10.        Michael Wilkinson: 1952-1954
  11.        Thomas Glenford Luddington: 1954-1959
  12.        Robert Arthur Crawley-Boevey MA: 1959-1978
  13.        Malcolm Osborne AKC: 1979-1984
  14.        William Timothy Wiffen MA: 1985-1991
  15.        Joanna Mary Stoker BA, BCS: 1992-1997
  16.        Berengaria Isabella de la Tour Hartless BSc: 1997-2000
  17.        Fane Charles Conant:  2001-2006
  18.        Gaenor Mary Hockey RGN, BA, BPhil:  2006-2013
  19.        Cassa Messervy BA, BTh, PGCE, PGCM:  since 2014

Note that in between successive appointments, there is often a period of interregnum, during which time a temporary appointment is made. Most recently, for example, Linda West was appointed on a temporary basis to cover the period between Gaenor's departure in 2013 and Cassa's arrival in 2014.  The above list excludes those who served during periods of interregnum.

 

Picture of men workingWe have an ongoing Working Party who, with assistance from PCC members is working through the last Quinquennial inspection recommendations to carry out improvements as quickly as the budget and priority list will allow. We are looking forward to receiving the latest Quinquennial report with its latest recommendations, following our inspection in late October 2012. If you are interested in offering your support either as a volunteer on our Working Party or by way of financial donation to the building works, please click on the links below:

 

Picture of churchyard in the snowThe Churchyard occupies a central triangular position in the middle of Seer green. It is looked after by volunteers who work extremely hard to keep it looking attractive and well-maintained. Its appearance has no doubt contributed to Seer Green winning a South Bucks "Best Kept Village" aware on several occasions.

The Parish Hall, built in 1829, was originally a lace school before becoming the Baptist Sunday School. The hall was offered to the PCC of Holy Trinity in 1982 and was subsequently transferred to Holy Trinity Church. The hall is approximately 150 yards from the Church. It was recently fully refurbished and provides an excellent facility for group meetings, exercise classes and children's party. Seating capacity is around 60. The hall boasts a fully-fitted kitchen and full disabled toilet facilities. Please see our Book the Parish Hall page for information on booking the hall.